Toronto Nikkei Forum トロント日系社会電子掲示板
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Message From Consul-General of Japan in Toronto Mr. Tetsuo Yamashita

Go down

Message From Consul-General of Japan in Toronto Mr. Tetsuo Yamashita Empty Message From Consul-General of Japan in Toronto Mr. Tetsuo Yamashita

Post  NJCA Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 12:40:22 -0400
Subject: Message From Consul-General of Japan in Toronto Mr. Tetsuo Yamashita
To: "Priya Devalia" <priya@japancg-toronto.org>

Since our arrival in Toronto from Sweden on December 19, 2008, in a memorable snow storm, Masako and I have met so many Japanese and Canadian friends here in Toronto. The time has come for us and Chef Mina to leave this great multi-ethnic and multi-cultural city. The Ministry
of Foreign Affairs of Japan gave me an order to leave Toronto immediately and head back to Tokyo.

When we first arrived in Canada, our immediate priority was preparation for the historic visit of Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan. The visit indeed was unforgettable with so many magical moments. When Her Majesty sang a lullaby for the patients at SickKids Hospital, for instance, many among us watching TV found it impossible to suppress our emotion.

It was also the year to celebrate the 80th anniversary of Japan-Canada diplomatic relations, 1929-2009. This cultural capital was bustling with so many artists and community organizations holding events to commemorate this milestone in cross-cultural friendship. Masako was particularly fortunate to have realized her long held dream of publishing her work, an illustrated
children's book entitled "Snow Children" available to the public perhaps in 2012.

In June 2010, Mrs. Nobuko Kan, the wife of Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan, was the guest of honour to a traditional Japanese tea ceremony hosted by the Urasenke School at the Japan Foundation Toronto. Her serene, elegant appearance in a traditional kimono was in stark contrast to the clamour elsewhere in the city as Canada hosted back-to-back the G8 and G20 Summits in Muskoka and Toronto. That same autumn, the members of the Japanese and
Canadian network organizations warmly welcomed the newly appointed Ambassador Kaoru Ishikawa at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre. The JCCC was also a venue for the 2010 Sakura Ball honouring the renowned architect Raymond Moriyama.

I, along with the rest of the world, was flabbergasted and watched in horror witnessing the apocalyptic and Biblical devastation that took place in Eastern Japan on March 11th, 2011. To the victims of the East Japan Earthquake, as well as to their families and friends, I wish once again to
extend my heartfelt condolences. At the same time, however, I also wish to express my deep appreciation to the countless people of Ontario and of Canada who provided us with encouragement, support, letters, blankets and goodwill in the form of folded origami cranes.

The Consulate-General of Japan will remain at your service under the capable guidance of Deputy Consul-General Nobuaki Yamamoto, who will be Acting Consul-General of Japan in Toronto, pending the arrival of my successor.

We would like to thank everyone for their warm friendship during our time here. We wish you all much success and good health, knowing that the friendship between Japan and Canada will continue to grow and strengthen in the days ahead.

The ongoing unprecedented nuclear power plant crisis and yet to be resolved plight of so many people in the seriously affected area in the Eastern part of Japan, make me feel most reluctant to hold or attend farewell occasions.

Thank you for your continued support and for your prayers for Japan.

Yamashita Tetsuo and on behalf of Yamashita Masako and Makimine Mina...

http://www.listenuptv.com/

ON THE BEHALF OF CONSUL-GENERAL MR. TETSUO YAMASHITA,

Priya Devalia (Ms.)

Executive Assistant
Consulate-General of Japan (Toronto)
Suite 3300, Royal Trust Tower
P.O. Box 10, 77 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5K 1A1
Tel: (416) 363-7038
Fax: (416) 367-9392
Email: priya@japancg-toronto.org

NJCA